
A 5.2 mile circular walk around this interesting area. It starts at East Worldham from where it travels south along the edge of Warner's Hanger for about a mile, before turning south-west towards Hartley Mauditt.
We found roadside parking on the B3004 just after the Three Horseshoes Pub, which is worth a visit.
Hartley Mauditt is named after William de Mauditt, a knight of William the Conquer, who built a Manor House here. In the 16th century it was owned by the family of John of Gaunt until it was bought by the Stuart family in 1614. In 1798, the owner decided that he would rather live in London, but his wife refused to move, so he had the house demolished, forcing her to move with him. After they left there was very little employment in the area and the village was abandoned. Today, only the small church of St Leonard's still stands, alone, near what was once the village pond. Beneath the fields, to the west of the church, lie the remains of an even older medieval village.
The walk then turns eastwards around the edge of a field above a sunken lane. Then there is a short walk along a quiet road as the walk drops down off the hanger, before following the Hangers Way north, back to East Worldham. On the way it passes the distinctive, conically shaped St John's Hill, which is thought to have been the site of an Iron Age settlement and also where King John once built a hunting lodge.
Route description courtesy: Haiselden family - geocaching.com
Leave a comment